Monday, March 22, 2010

Chapter 9: Going to High School and Finding Clothes

I may not have mentioned it, but I was home schooled all my life. Just so you know, not all homeschoolers are those strange hokey people who you make fun of. We make fun of the stereotypical public schooler as well. And now that I am enrolled in a teaching class, I have to go to a high school and observe and take notes on specific things and write out journals on our assigned subject to observe.
This sounded fun and easy at first, but then I realized that my schedule was insane and messy! I was so used to having a neat and orderly schedule, but with the move coming up, I thought I should only take three classes and they could be whenever because I would drop them. WRONG!! We are not moving until May. We found a house in an adorable neighborhood and I am trying not to let the feelings form the last chapter seep into this one. So let’s blow that away.
Alright. So I have one class at 8 o’clock then two hours break before my next class (which is when I write these lovely entries that no one reads). Then after my insane sociology class (yes, you know the one) I have work or nothing till my Acting II class. Tuesdays and Thursdays I work from 11 to 5. I am swamped and scattered! So How was I to find the time to drive to a high school and observe. It may seem obvious to you, but know that the teachers are not available at all times I have breaks. They have planning periods and one of my Music teachers is only available in the afternoons!
But O’Dell gave me patients and the cool head to figure it out and I have! I just hope now that my professor doesn’t get on my case because I’m seeing three teachers at once.

On the next subject, I told my parents about wanting to change out my wardrobe. I have nothing but black t-shirts and Tripp pants in my draws. There is nothing wrong with that, but I want a change now to go with my change in life (my journey to being a lady). So I want a more bohemian and hippie look. Yes, a more gypsy look. More Urban. When I told my mom, “I want to change my wardrobe out,” she said, “Ok, that sounds interesting.”
“Yeah, but I’ll have to make most of the cloths I want.”
She stopped and just stared ahead (we were driving home from Texas). “What do you mean? You know you need to relax with this stuff and try to remember that you need to look classy as well as stylish.”
Here is where I went into a speech about what stylish meant to me and she didn’t understand. She thought that I was going to make all my cloths belly dancing costumes!! She thought I was silly enough to want to do that! Oh, the mind of mothers! I told her I want to look stylish and classy, but not mainstream stylish; not TRENDY. Once I explained to her that I was not going to walk around school with hip scarves and jungle belts on, she relaxed a little more.

Honestly…Belly dancing is my life and the ways of the Rom are important to me, but I cannot spoil the mystique of those cloths by wearing them every day. I have to come up with my own fashion and make it work in the colors and designs I like.
So this step is: trying to get nicer, classier cloths and let go of the teenage punk phase. Not my Gothic subculture and lifestyle, never that! But to present myself to the world as a serious person. I love my gothness and the scene. But I also love my tribal/urban ideas. So that is this step too: Balance the two and make it work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment